impact factors etc in forensic medicine
- Saukko P. The role of international journals in legal/forensic medicine. Legal Medicine (Tokyo) 2009; 11 Suppl 1:S9-12
- Jones AW. The distribution of forensic journals, reflections on authorship practices, peer review and the role of impact factor. Forensic Science International 2007; 165:115-128
diagnostic criteria in forensic pathology
Very few attempts have been made to define diagnostic criteria for pathological diagnoses in forensic pathological practice (criteria for traumatic basal subarachnoid haemorrhage by Leadbeatter being one such example). A diagnostic crietria approach has been attempted in surgical histopathology by Tadrous, and it is hoped that such a compendium will be produced in forensic pathology in due course.
Leadbeatter S. Extracranial vertebral artery injury - evolution of a pathological illusion? Forensic Science International 1994; 28:33-40
Tadrous PJ. Diagnostic criteria handbook in histopathology: a surgical pathology vade mecum. John Wiley and Sons 2008
Systematic reviews are one of the great ideas of modern thought. They should be celebrated.
Ben Goldacre. 'Bad Science'. 2008
understanding medical language
Pathology forms the basis of the language of medicine.
Learning medical terminology can be frustrating, but need not be impossible!
Many resources exist to help you learn how to speak 'medicalese', including the following ...
- US Army basic medical terminology course booklet
- Paediatric forensic pathology: limits and controversies (Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine 2007) - pages vi-xiv (glossary)
- Inquiry into pediatric forensic pathology in Ontario ('Goudge Inquiry') Volume 2 (2008) - pages xix-xxix (glossary)
- Online medical terminology course at Des Moines University
- medical terminology online resources collection
- medical eponyms database (also available as an app)
- medical terminology tutorial (from the US National Library of Medicine)
- online medical dictionary at Medline Plus (from the US National Library of Medicine)
There are also many books on the market to help learn medical terminology...
- Medical terminology for dummies (buy it here)
- Pocket medical terminology (buy it here)
- Medical terminology and clinical procedures (buy it here)
- Concise medial dictionary (Oxford, colour) (buy it here)
- Medical terminology: a short course (buy it here)
- Dunmore and Fleischer's Medical Terminology: exercises in etymology (buy it here)
- A word book in pathology and laboratory medicine (buy it here)
- Stedman's pathology and laboratory medicine words (buy it here)
- forensic medicine
- head injury
- head trauma
- cause of death
- death investigation
- medicolegal death investigation
- forensic pathologist
- sudden cardiac death
- patterns of injury
- forensic pathology
- blunt force injury
- forensic science
- post mortem
- blunt force trauma
(Source: Simon Howden)